Friday, July 16, 2010

The Hoes are Working Hard

That's what she said! -Good you are catching on.

While I have learned an extraordinary amount during my 7 weeks here on the farm about harvesting veggies, cows, fencing, seeds, and the many different ways to farm organically, I never could have conceptualized that amount of jokes I would learn, specifically ones to be made about garden hoes.

Well, there is no easy segway into this. . . .

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! My wonderful mommy had a birthday this past Wednesday. Love you Mom!!


As much as I miss my dearest mother, life on the farm rules. The team is working like a well oiled machine. Kinks worked out, we are charging full steam ahead into a busy harvest season. Here is one such harvest, (although we are all really just hams and love having our pictures taken.)
Left to right top: Sylvan (Garden Manager), Avana, Dave, Sandy, Shannon, Kate
Left to right bottom: Yours truly, Julie

More harvest, garlic scapes! Aren't they just beautiful!


Julie, Dave, and I went in to Fort Collins last week to visit thrift shops (as if there is any other place Dave, Julie or I would want to go when making a visit off property) and hang out at a great coffee shop to drink great chai and have veggie chips with hummus (not to be confused with humus).

Have I mentioned how lucky Dave is to be working with the BEST looking lady farm interns ever? Just a recap: Kate, Avana, Sandy, Alisha, Shannon, Julie

So last Saturday Dave and I worked the farmer's market. It was an exciting and new experience to be on the other side of the vendor's table. It is an easy job when the product is tasty and of an incredible quality. It was a wild sensation to have customers coming to the table and telling US the superior nutritional qualities of grass fed (versus corn/grain fed i.e. all vegetarian feed, f.y.i.) beef. It seemed backward- wasn't that our job? :) Obviously, I loved every minute of it.

Since we spaced on having a camera or taking any pictures, we are riding the coat tales of interns Kate and Shannon's experience. Just superimpose Dave and my faces. And maybe a different body for Dave. With more hair. . .


Nevermind so-called "farmer's tan". This is a real farmer's tan, and it is more like a farmer's burn when you are in Colorado with cooky weather and strong sun. This is the tan you get below your shirt and above your pants- silly!!

Everyone wants to know, "Alisha, what are you doing on the farm?" Well friends, I weed. We weed a lot and atleast for the next 2 days are working in the most well weeded organic garden ever**.


Two families here in the community have chickens, this is where they live. You may think you are looking at a chicken-version of a trailer home (not that you would be hating on trailer homes since I am living in one) but wait, these chickens have it great- we move it around and let them eat compost, worms, and other goodies.



If you have made it this far in the post, please know that I am really appreciative you are still reading. One last thing. Wednesday, our day off, Dave and I decided to make some cheese and a sourdough starter! Yippeee. We already have batches of kombucha going and feel like we need more fermentation in our lives.

My slightly OCD mind is already working up a plan for the menu at my graduation party this summer. Just so we are clear, there is no date set but it is at least over a year away. Can't say I won't be prepared!




Well, on to dinner. Something special just came out of the oven. . .

I will leave you with this adorable picture. . .


Much love,
Alisha

1 comment: